**multiple pics**. Forsyth Park and fountain. Forsyth park is a large city park that occupies 30 acres in the historic district of Savannah, Georgia. The park was originally created in the 1840s on 10 acres (0.04 km2) of land donated by William Hodgson. In 1851, the park was expanded and named for Georgia Governor John Forsyth. By 1853, all original planned wards of Savannah were occupied and a large public park was added to the extreme south end of the city plan. This park was anticipated by General James Oglethorpe's plan and was made possible by a donation of 20 acres (81,000 m2) of land owned by Forsyth. The fountain at the north end of the park was added in 1858 and is reminiscent of fountains in the Place de la Concorde in Paris and in Cuzco, Peru. At this time, Parisian urban planning was centered on the development of residential neighborhoods radiating out from a central green space. The Parisian model of developing large city parks was emulated by large cities in the United States, with even smaller cities, such as Savannah, asserting their own cosmopolitan image.
Every St. Patrick's Day the fountain is ceremoniously turned green in celebration of Savannah's deep Irish heritage.
The fountain and many other aspects of Savannah are clearly visible in The Longest Yard (1974 film) and the 1962 film Cape Fear. #forsythpark #savannah #fountain #georgia #justseeit #placesmyconversego #girlstrip #christiansister #1800