Are avocados healthy? 🤔🥑
One minute avocados are being labelled as a “superfood” (which is now a regulated claim and products can only state this when accompanied by an authorised health claim) and the next thing you know the media are claiming they’re bad for us because they are “full of fat”.
SO to put the record straight YES avocados do contain FAT, 78% of the fat in avocados is unsaturated, with the remaining 22% being saturated.
Unsaturated fats: monounsaturated fats (found in olive oil, nuts and avocados) and polyunsaturated fats (found in most plant oils (rapeseed oil, sunflower oil), oily fish, nuts, seeds and spreads). These types of fat have been proven to maintain the level of 'good' cholesterol in our blood. Whereas high intakes of saturated fats are associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
Ultimately avocados are a great fruit to include as part of a healthy balanced diet, half an avo counts towards your 5 a day and they are a source of vitamin E (a fat soluble vitamin), vitamin B6 and potassium. We love avocado in salads and on wholegrain toast!
#avocado #avocados #fruit #dietaryfat #cholesterol #5aday #1ofyour5aday #mythbusting #nourishedlife #factorfiction