Chinese cabbage soup 🍜🥬
I served my soup with bbq tofu steaks and a Chinese green tea. The recipe for the bbq tofu is available in a previous post.
Ingredients: 1/4 white cabbage, 1 small onion, 1 carrot, pepper, chilli flakes, vegetable broth, sesame oil, 200g of canned shiitake mushrooms, 1 green chilli, 1 green onion, minced garlic, minced ginger, soy sauce, vegan fish sauce, Chinese five spice, your favourite noodles, dark soy sauce.
+ optional: your favourite chilli sauce
1. Chop the onion and carrot in small pieces. Add them to a saucepan with some sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of minced ginger and 1 tablespoon of chilli flakes. Fry over high heat until soft and fragrant.
2. Slice the cabbage in thin strips. Reserve half of it for later. Add the other half to the saucepan, along with 1/2 cup of vegetable broth.
3. Drain the shiitake mushrooms and slice them. Add them to the saucepan.
4. Now add the spices: 1 tablespoon of Chinese five spice, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of vegan fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Combine well and let it cook for a few minutes.
5. When fragrant, add 4 cups of water to the saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. When it's boiling, add 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce.
6. Meanwhile, chop the green onion sideways and slice the green chilli.
7. When the soup is boiling, add the noodles. Turn the heat off and let it rest for 5 minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
8. Serve the soup in bowls. Top with the cabbage strips, green onions, green chilli slices and if you want to, your favourite chilli sauce.
#cabbage #noodlesoup #chinesefood #chinesecuisine #chinesecooking #ginger #garlic #chillies #noodles #shiitake #veganasia #fishsauce #meatfree #dairyfree #eggfree #veganfood #vegansofinstagram #vegansofaustralia #crueltyfree #plantbased #homemadevegan #whatveganseat #veganism #VegansInAustralia