Stillness at Appomattox-
The setting sun illuminates the home of Lewis Daniel Isbell on a recent afternoon.
Within the next few weeks new interpretive panels detailing the history of the home & it’s former inhabitants will go up in the Park.
Stillness At Appomattox:
A recent view from the top floor of the Peers House out onto the east end of the stage road.
If that road could talk, what
stories it could tell: stories of war, of loss, of peace, of freedom.
PC: DWooldridge for NPS
: The Meeks field on a foggy afternoon. The grave on the right is that of Lafayette Meeks, a local Confederate soldier who died of typhoid fever in 1861. #AppomattoxNPS
: Confederate cannon in the yard of the Peers House. Some of the last artillery shots of the war in VA were fired from here. #CivilWar
: These were five of the most popular Stillness images from 2017. Appomattox Court House certainly experiences all four seaons and the changes in the landscape come through in the Stillness series throughout the year. The park would like to thank all of our loyal Facebook followers for their continued interest in the park and we look forward to seeing all of you in 2018!
#AppomattoxNPS #FindYourPark #CivilWar #YearInReview
Stillness at Appomattox: The McLean House parlor security cam caught this image of an "intruder" in the "Surrender Room" recently.
He was dressed as Father Christmas would have been during the Civil War era (see Thomas Nast's Harper's Weekly illustrations of the jolly old elf back then.) Stay tuned because we'll be on the lookout for him tonight, although our NPS Integrated Pest Management procedures mean we won't be able to leave any milk and cookies.
#StillnessAtAppomattox #StNicholasAtAppomattox #NPSMuseumHandbookProcedures
Autumn sun sets on the Isbell House. Built in 1850, this original building now serves as the Park's headquarters. #NPS
The morning sun brightens the fields around the village. A quiet place until April 1865, the arrival of 100,000 troops would change that. #NPS
The Stage Road looking west from the village. The blacksmith shop of Charles Duigiud, a free black man, stood nearby. #NPS
This small cabin was the home of the Widow Kelly in 1865. John Robinson, a former slave and skilled cobbler, lived here after the war. #NPS
Stillness at Appomattox.
The newly revived Charles Sweeney cabin as it will look when "throngs" of early banjo musicians & listeners arrive Sat. Sept. 9th.
Built around 1840, this was the home of Charles Sweeney- soldier, mail carrier & musical cousin to Joel Sweeney.
The "New Jail" in the village. completed in 1867, it replaced the burned old jail (brick piers are visible). #NPS