Have you ever wanted to learn how to decorate cookies?
No experience necessary! Come and learn the basics of cookie decorating. You will learn basic outlining, flooding, and detail techniques.
Price: $50 for a 2 hour class. Each student will learn 3 designs and take home 6 decorated cookies.
February 23rd 4:30-6:30pm
The Market at Walnut Creek
Click on the link in my bio to sign up!
Have you booked your Valentine’s Day high tea? It’s such a great way to spend time with your loved and ones. Make your reservation early this year as spots fill up fast!
My family and friends went up to the mountains this weekend to play in the snow so of course I had to bake something for the trip! There is seriously nothing better then having family, great friends, some hot cocoa, and this Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread up in the snowy mountains. Delicious.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup pastry flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons full-fat sour cream
1 1/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 large bananas)
2/3 cup chocolate chips (I love Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
Line an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper making sure the paper hangs over the sides making it easy to lift out of the pan when done. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until it begins to foam, 3 to 4 minutes. Swirl the butter around in the pan until it begins to brown and smell nutty, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour, the pastry flour, both sugars, baking soda, and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sour cream until smooth, then stir in the mashed bananas and cooled brown butter.
Fold in the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just blended.
In a small bowl, toss the chocolate chips with the vanilla, then toss the remaining 2 teaspoons of flour.
Fold the coated chips and the walnuts (optional) into the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake, rotating midway through for even baking, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when gently pressed, 55 to 60 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes.
Nutritional information per slice (without walnuts):
Serves 12 slices
Total Fat: 13g
Total Carbs: 40g
I forgot to take an after picture, but my second attempt at rugelach came out pretty good! Rugelach is a traditional Jewish cookie that uses cream cheese in the cookie dough for a soft cookie with a mild tang, and can have a variety of fillings. Ours are chocolate, naturally. #bakersofinstagram #cookies #chocolate
Mmmm! Homemade cherry lemon oat bars with almond glaze. These delicious snacks are made with fresh cherries and lemon and old fashioned oats. Can be made into a low fat version too!! #bakersofinstagram
My husband gets a little pouty when there aren’t cookies left for him to do “quality control.” So, I make huge batches of dough, roll them into balls and freeze them for later. Oh and I’m a total weirdo - I weigh each ball of dough to make sure they’re as uniform as possible. There’s something so calming about making and freezing ready to bake cookies. It’s also dangerous to have these in my freezer just 15 minutes away from warm and ready to eat!
I made bagels! These have a cornmeal crust, and another batch is baking with sesame seeds on top. Not as pretty as the ones I made last year, but I was in an “I’m cold and need carbs” headspace. #cooksofinstagram #bakersofinstagram
Pink Number Cake 💕.
Gracias a todos los que votaron ayer en el Drip Challenge de la foto anterior 🔥.
Esta es de mis recetas viejas favoritas, y les digo vieja por que es de esas que todavía están en papel, es del primer libro de cocina que me dio mi mamá... un libro solo de panquesitos y galletas, las recetas re fáciles y con ingredientes comunes y medidas claras! ... en este libro descubrí los panes Dulces y no como los de la tienda jajaja sino de sabores, ósea es un pastel pero menos esponjoso, delis para comer con jaleas, tostadito o para sopear... yo su soy sopera de corazón 🤣 me encanta! Así que me di un giro, hice el pan de naranja pero lo volví funfetti y aproveche a hacer unos mini muffins para #laloncheradeLuna
y fueron un éxito! •
Ingredientes: 1 1/2 tz de harina • 1 tsp de polvo para hornear • 1/2 tsp de sal • 1 barra de mantequilla • 1 tz de azúcar • 2 huevos • 1 tz de jugo de naranja @jugosrabinal
Tips extra: el tiempo de horno varía de acuerdo al tamaño, los mini muffins se tardan masomenos 18 minutos y si hacemos un zepelín son hasta 55 minutos, la clave es revisarlo con un palillo, lo picamos del centro y si sale limpio es que ya está listo! ... también si quieren hacerlo funffeti pidan anicillos de los que no destiñen 🤣 a mi se me olvidó y casi instantáneo al ponerlo en la masa empezaron a soltar el color, de igual forma de colocan de último y se mueve con la Paleta solo hasta que se integren. •
#pandenaranja #pan #naranja #jugodenaranja #orangebread #orange #guatemala #guate #instabaker #bakersofinstagram #bake #bread #muffintime #orangemuffins
Ice cream anyone? These super cute macs were for a lovely clients 2nd birthday party for her little one. 🍦💕
Sent this beauty out!
Semi naked drip cake with fresh floral and fresh strawberries 😍
Kolaczkis in the making! This was my last batch of 8. I was so frustrated when I started baking today because I couldn't keep my kolaczkis closed, but after some trial and error (and swearing) I figured it out!
These taste so delicious. They are like a pie crust cookie, almost, with a jam filling.
#baking #hyperlapse #bakersofinstagram #polish
my starter, mork, in their new home (which i’ve decided to call the mothership). swipe to see their old home—a cooler with a thermostat and a 15w lightbulb (credit to @jerseydough
for the idea). honestly, it’s very effective setup, but my wife hated it so it had to go. onwards and upwards! @brodandtaylor
Only thing better than a cupcake is a GIANT cupcake 😆 ⠀
Check out the tutorial here 👉 https://vitiligobaker.com/2018/12/16/easy-giant-cupcake-tutorial/
Thanks for the beautiful and creative treats today @dogtagbakery
Whiskey Peaches and Pecan Galette!!!!! Yes, peaches 🍑are out of season but my imagination and freezer don’t care. 🍑🤷🏽♀️I’m a fan of peach pie, in fact next to pecan it’s my front runner. My pantry is a labyrinth of magic ingredients I search the dark corners for. I should take a photo of it one day. Anyway, I found a while back Smoked Brown Sugar. It’s not for the faint of tastebuds for sure. You really do get that true smoked flavor. A little goes a long way but people always want to know if I smoked the dessert. Nope, nope, it’s 18 degrees outside. #homecooked #homecooking #homecook #foodiesofinstagram #baking #bakinglove #pie #homebakers #bakersofinstagram #bakeryelove
I was dreading this but today the lovely @migabesacorteza
🌷both tagged me for the #tell5tag5
challenge started by @brianharthoffman
So, on this blue Monday evening, here goes:
1. I hate and avoid having my picture taken. I have grey hair and scars on my face, which I am always very self-conscious of. This one was taken last night by my sister. Little did I know...
2. I taught myself how to make bread when my boys were little (i.e. a very long time ago). Discovered sourdough about 8 years ago and haven’t looked back. I joined the Real Bread Campaign a couple of years ago and am a no-compromise advocate of real bread and real, organic food. Real everything, actually. I will offer some of my starter and lessons to anyone who spends more than 2 minutes talking to me!
3. I am a translator and have worked from home (or out of a suitcase) for 27 years. I enjoy feeding people as it is just as eloquent as saying ‘I love you’. 4. I have been taking pictures of my bakes for ages and have them on an old tabletop that I have turned into a huge photo board on the kitchen wall but joined Instagram on being told by a friend I should share my stuff out there. I have met some wonderful people and learnt more than I could have hoped for.
5. Epic fails, oh boy, at least once a week! Burnt 3 loaves to a crisp only a few days ago. Two different ovens, completely different flours, climates and a travelling jar of starter and it goes to pot more often than I would like.
6. There are many people whose bread I know and I’d like to invite some of them to take part: @adam4sd @samuel_conrad @i_make_awful_bread @sour_bread @sourdough_woman
#thisisme #tell5tag5 #bakersofinstagram #realbread #realfood #sourdough #chooseorganic #fromscratch
Hi it’s me, Katie! You don’t see my face often on here but the lovely @brownedbutterblondie
tagged me in the #tell5tag5
challenge that @brianharthoffman
started. You tell 5 random facts about yourself (including a baking fail) and tag 5 other bakers to do the same. So here we go!.
1. I’m left-handed when I write, but play all sports with my right hand 🤷🏻♀️.
2. My top played artist on Spotify last year was Coldplay - I’ve loved them since high school! I went to their concert at Soldier Field in Chicago last summer and it was epic.
3. The one food I really dislike is pineapple. You will never see a pineapple dessert on katiebirdbakes.com 😂.
4. My husband Brian and I were born exactly 6 weeks apart, and discovered when we got married that we were actually baptized on the same day. Weird, right?
5. I think my biggest baking fail was when I tried to add carrots to banana bread - it was horribly mushy and greasy. Brian thinks my biggest baking fail was when I tried to add zucchini to banana bread - it was horribly mushy and wet and it made an unforgettable loud thump when I dumped it in the trash. Apparently, I should leave banana bread alone!!.
Now I nominate my friends @beyond.the.butter @frostingandfettuccine @shortgirltallorder @theitsybitsykitchen @butternutbakery
to follow suit and #tell5tag5
Home made spicy olive bread. Subbed out bread flour for AP. (Its all I had). First time using a Dutch oven for bread, NOT TOO SHABBY if I say so myself! 🍞🥖🍞🥖
Sub-zero temps have me wanting to sit by a real yule log all day...but without a fireplace, I’ll just dream of our Christmas dessert instead. Gluten-free chocolate cake with fresh whipped cream filling and a sprinkling of candy canes. Recipe by none other than @kingarthurflour #yulelog #holidaybaking #jellyroll
Even if my WIPs are taking forever, I can spend a few hours and knock out blueberry cupcakes with lemon butter cream. My Piping needs practice but they taste good! #knittersofinstagram #bakersofinstagram
TWO WEEKS left to get your Valentine’s Day orders in 💘💘💘
Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies have nothing on these Nut & Seed Butter Cookies loaded with our beautiful pastel French Chocolate Dragées 🙌🍪🌰
Grab the recipe by following the link in our bio.
Tartlets are everyone’s favorite! How can you miss this? 💃
If you're seeing blue right now, you might just be seeing some delicious cake balls.
These vanilla and chocolate cake balls were dipped and drizzled in shades of blue for a fun celebration.
Maybe you should beat the winter blues with some cake balls. Don't hesitate to order now!