~Middle Creek United Methodist Church~ ca. 1902
Rev. Francis Asbury, the first Methodist Bishop in the United States, visited the Middle Creek community in 1808.
Many families camped out for weeks, and some built temporary log huts while staying at the camp meeting revivals. The revival services were held under a big tree overlooking the Sevier County countryside, and by 1822, the location became known as the Middle Creek Campground.
The original camp meeting grounds are still located behind this building.
In 1851, land was donated to build the first Middle Creek sanctuary.
Local families contributed cut timber and their time to help build the church dedicated May 18, 1902.
Middle Creek School was next door.
Just across Middle Creek Road, there was a train depot and general store. The train, Smoky Mountain Railroad, ran from Knoxville to Pigeon Forge.
Neither of the buildings exist.
Graded cuts from the railroad are still there, but hard to see.
#mypigeonforge #historicalplace #oldchurch #seviercounty #beautifulday #smokymtnliving #theonlytennisee #homesweettn #865life #sky_brilliance