Tuesday’s as special a night as any, so we say ‘why not?’ to this showstopper 🎂
GIN AND TONIC BRUSHSTROKE CAKE
FOR THE SPONGE:
10 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
225g unsalted butter, softened
400g caster sugar
400g plain flour
2½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
FOR THE LIME CURD:
150g granulated sugar
4 limes, juiced and zested
100g unsalted butter, cubes
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
350g caster sugar
425g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp gin and tonic flavouring
FOR THE BRUSHSTROKES:
150g cooking chocolate white chocolate chips
2-3 drops dark green food gel
1 gold paint brush
1 gold glitter spray
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4. Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of two 18cm loose-bottomed round cake tins and two 15cm loose-bottomed cake tins. Separate all the eggs. Mix 6 egg whites with the buttermilk and vanilla extract and set aside.
2. Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 4-5 mins until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
3. Put the mixer on a low speed. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk mixture in four additions.
4. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake tins. Bake for 25 mins, until the smaller cakes are cooked. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack. Leave the larger cakes to cook for a further 7 minutes, then remove from the oven. After 10 minutes, turn them out on to the cooling racks, letting the cakes cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, add 6 of the leftover egg yolks, the granulated sugar and the lime juice and zest to a medium pan. Place over a medium heat and whisk for 5 minutes until thick. Remove from the heat and add the butter 1-2 cubes at a time, whisking well between each addition, until thickened. Strain through a sieve so the curd is smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover with cling film so it touches the surface and transfer to your fridge.
To find complete instructions for assembly, the buttercream and brushstrokes, visit http://bit.ly/2MLPr4U and search ‘brushstroke cake’
#brushstrokecake #ginandtonic #cakestagram