Most the constantly dis CrossFit will probably not take the time to read this but here goes anyway. #Repost @wodsofamadman
In a day and age where facts are ignored, truth is ridiculed and feelings trump everything - knowledge is king.
Participation in CrossFit and perceived injury risk continue to be a huge point of discussion in the fitness world. Let’s examine some facts around fitness and injuries:
1. Even with perfect execution of injury prevention plans, proper technique, and volume management, LUCK still plays a role in not getting injured. There is no perfect plan (Coles, 2017).
2. CrossFit injury rates have been examined in several studies finding between 2.1 and 3.1 injuries per 1000 training hours (Moran 2017, Hak 2013, Montalvo 2017)
3. Zumba has between 3.9 and 5.7 injuries per 1000 training hours (Domene 2017)
4. The overall injury rate in NCAA football is 8.1 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures (NSCA)
5. “A committee formed by USA Triathlon in 2012 reviewed 43 cases of adults who died during sanctioned events in the United States between 2006 and 2011” (Dressendorfer, 2015). I’m not saying triathlons are unsafe just using this as an example of many people’s extreme views on CrossFit and ignoring other sports that come with injury risk.
6. The statistics on the number of deaths that can be prevented with proper diet, exercise, alcohol moderation, and not using tobacoo products are INSANE. The diet and exercise prescription components are what #CrossFit
preaches to the masses and the company as a whole is focused on improving the health of the world more aggressively than any other fitness company in existence.
So CrossFit’s injury rates have been shown to be comparable to other forms of fitness, we aren’t seeing deaths like we do during triatholons, it advocates first for improving an individual’s diet, and preaches teaching learning proper mechanics before adding intensity.
Perhaps these individuals are seeing poor examples of CrossFit execution by individuals not following the recommendations by @CrossFit
HQ. Just like we see improper execut