Even though the control arm bushings looked alright, I figured it was probably a good idea to change them since they are the factory bushings and they are 50 years old.
I started by removing the Sway bar links, then the rubber mounts underneath the frame then the sway bar itself.
Next were the outer tie rods connected to the idler arm.
I then realised the spring compression tool I had was not going to work. I needed one that would sit inside the coil instead of compressing from the outside. After waiting a few days for it to arrive I was able to compress the spring and disconnect the ball joints and remove the idler arm from the upper and lower control arms.
Then finally I removed the control arms.
I was able to check the play in the control arm ball joints and discovered that the upper needs replacing. I might as well do both while I have both control arms off.
This will also give me a chance to clean the dirt and rocks from inside the frame and paint the outside properly.