Each and every event held today in context of Pakistan Day was captivating and motivational. But what enthralled me the most was this snippet on #City42
- an interview of Meeral Murat, Daughter of architect of Minar e Pakistan "Nasreddin Murat-Khan". What a story! What a dedication!
Born to a Turkish Muslim family, in Dagestan, a graduate of Leningrad State University, living a life of exile in Germany, he migrated to Pakistan with his family in 1950 and was hired as Executive Engineer for PWD at Wah Ordinance Factory.
Cutting it short, he designed the famous buildings of:-
- Nishtar Hospital and the Nishtar Medical College
- Mansehra Mental Hospital
- Sahala Police Training College
- Sinclair Hall in Forman Christian College
- Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore
- Textile College, Faisalabad - many other buildings, townships, residences and other structures.
In 1963, upon being ordered by President Ayub Khan, he undertook the task of Minar e Pakistan albeit the foundation stone was already laid on 23 March 1960. THe Minar was completed by 31 October 1968 and he did not take his prescribed fee of Rs. 250,000 and instead donated the amount to the fund created for financing the construction of the Minar-i Pakistan.
In recognition of his services, the then President of Pakistan, General Ayub Khan, conferred on him the Tamghah-yi Imtiyaz (Medal of Excellence) in 1963.
He died of a heart attack on 15 October 1970.
We Pakistanis owe him to a great deal. May his soul be blessed by ALLAH ALMIGHTY.
PS. I have added his picture and the major buildings designed by him.
#23March #PakistanDay #Turkey #Dagestan #Russia #Germany #LeninUniversity #MinarePakistan
##AyubKhan #Nishtar #Gaddafi #SinclairHall #FCcollege #PrideofPakistan #Meeral #Murat