It's the season of durians! The time where people would gather over the spiky fruit than meeting for a cup of tea (or beer 🍻) Wherever the delicious smell of durian is in the air, the streets will be crowded!
Durian season is here in Singapore, with long queues everywhere! Not everyone is going to love the king of fruits, but for those that do, they can't stop nibbling on the sweet, creamy flesh.
Here are some fun things to know about this thorny delicacy:
1. Durians are actually highly nutritious and have good monosaturated fats that can help lower your cholesterol levels and moderate high blood pressure.
2. They are high in calories. One seed of durian has around 54 calories, which means if you finished one fruit (1470 calories!) in a sitting, you're consuming almost 3/4 of your daily recommended intake.
3. The good thing is they provide us with other necessary nutrients that the body needs to improve our immune system and gut.
4. Durians contain high sugar content, mainly sucrose, fructose, and glucose, which means people with sensitive blood sugar, or diabetes should try to limit their intake.
5. Durian is a great source of potassium which helps to reduce fatigue, relieve mental stress and anxiety.
While it does help to nourish the body with minerals, vitamins and good fat, we should always eat durian in moderation! I know most of you can't resist this fruit (me included), so try to limit yourself to a few seeds at a time, and share the rest with your friends and family!
Enjoyed this? Share it with a durian lover. :)