: SQUATS Expert @Dr.
) shares tips to beat iron-deficiency Anemia.
Anemia is defined as the condition where there is reduction of oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. (low circulating red blood cells or low hemoglobin)
Normal adult levels of hemoglobin: Men: 13.5-17.5 g/dl, Women: 12-15.5 g/dl.
Causes: Leading cause of anemia is iron-deficiency due to chronic bleeding, menorrhagia, malnutrition, absorption disorders, post-surgery. Other causes could be related to genetic defects like thalassemia, due to vitamin B12 & folate deficiency, liver disease, kidney disease, autoimmunity, alcoholism, poisoning & infections.
Symptoms: Fatigue, constant headaches, shortness of breath, dizziness, palpitations, arrhythmias, pale skin, restless leg syndrome, anxiety, low immunity, dry & brittle hair & nails.
Tips to beat Iron-deficiency anemia:
1.Eat more lean meats like poultry, fish & increase intake of healthy omega-3 rich foods like nuts & seeds.
2. Excellent vegetable sources of iron are beets, pomegranate, soy, spinach and other dark leafy vegetables like broccoli, celery, kale, etc.
3. Steam your vegetables as this increases bio-availability of iron, which helps retain its nutrition profile.
4. Supplement with Vitamin C, as Vitamin C increases absorption of iron in the gut. Alternatively, eating foods which are naturally high in ascorbic acid(along with iron) like citrus fruits, yellow & red bell peppers; will also facilitate iron absorption.
5. Take iron supplements preferably on an empty stomach.
6. Increase intake of B-vitamin rich foods like red meats, poultry, oranges, legumes, & avocados.
7. Avoid smoking.
8. If iron-deficiency is severe, you may need to be given iron intravenously or need blood transfusions to help restore hemoglobin levels.