- Janna Levitt co-founded LGA Architectural Partners in 1989. She believes architecture is an essential tool for creating living, working, and learning environments that improve the quality of people's lives. We asked Janna #WhatsGood
1. Bees. I love bees. We have 2 hives on our #greenroof
at our house. I'm a member of the #BeekeepersofOntario
, and I recently went on a study trip to investigate the Ginza Rooftop Honey Bee Project with west coast artist Myfanwy MacLeod for Cape Farewell. Right now I'm reading "Nine Lectures on Bees" by Rudolph Steiner, the famous education theorist whose Froebel Blocks kindergarten play system was formative in Frank Lloyd Wright's development as an Architect.
2. Exterior seating in #Vienna
. I was recently in Vienna for Design Week and loved the series of pop-up seating that were constructed for the week. They took up a parking spot in front of most of the off-site collaborations. It made it really easy to find all of the venues downtown and created a nice extension of the energy into the civic realm.
3. Cake. This summer I'm going to visit with friends who have built a house in #Galicia
. To get in the mood I decided to bake a Tarta De Santiago - the classic Galician almond cake. There are many tweaks to the basic recipe, depending on the region. I think there are at least 4 more Tartas to bake before July.
4. Lab meat. I am really interested in the current biotech debate about "Lab meat" and "Lab leather". Issues like what to call it and is it ethical etc. To me it's a boiled down discussion about the role of technology as we move forward - do we need to abandon names like "notebooks" for digital devices and/or "meat" for synthetic protein made in a lab and develop a new language?
5. Dumplings. We recently moved our office to Spadina, on the edge of Chinatown and I am LOVING it. I go past this window at least 6 times a day and am in awe of these two women. They are the Jedhi's of Dumplings. I haven't broken down yet and gone in for a bowl but its coming soon.
#MeetTheLGATeam #LGAAP #LGAArchitecture #Architecture #Architects #LGAAPteam #LGAWhatsGood #Viennadesignweek #technology #biotech #chinatown