1. Clean smarter, not harder: Save yourself time and start with organization–don’t just clean around the mess! Clear off your counters, the clothes on the furniture, and put everything in its place. Then clean starting from the top of each room to the bottom. This way, you won’t have to backtrack when the dust from your ceiling fan falls onto the floor.
2. Eliminate the paper trail: You may not have time to set up a paper organization system, but you can still put the paper away without making a mess for yourself later. Throw away every scrap that you don’t need to keep. Make three categories: bills, miscellaneous, and work. Grab three folders and place each stack inside. Tuck them away and return to them you’re ready to build a sustainable filing system.
3. Tackle the pantry before shopping: Before you go buy all that yummy food for the big day, take advantage of your newly cleared off counters: empty everything out of your pantry and fridge and throw out all the old food you don’t need. Then sort out your staples, snacks, and specialties into their own spaces.
4. Create a holiday wreath and centerpiece: Two of the most significant focal points for your guests will be your front door and your dining room table. For a stunning homemade wreath have hot glue and fake flowers ready–think mistletoe, pine cones, poinsettia and pine leaves. Want more inspiration? Check out @wreathscreationsbymonica.
Your centerpiece can feature fresh flowers in a family vase; a glass bowl filled with water, cranberries and tealight candles; or a pumpkin with imitation flowers springing to life all over the top. But leave room for your feast!
5. Splurge on scented candles: Place scented candles at the front door and common bathroom. Some favorite holiday scents include pumpkin spice, cinnamon, vanilla, or pine. Don’t want to splurge? Potpourri is an affordable workaround! Simmer water, three sticks of cinnamon, one tablespoon of cloves, half a cup of cranberries and one orange in a pan. Add more water as needed; don’t let it all evaporate.
Need more help? Book a professional organizer in Charlotte, NC today. Link in bio!