Chantry Park~ •In the 16th century Edmund Daundy, a local merchant and portman, donated the property to St. Lawrence Church, Ipswich for the purpose of founding a ‘Chantry’. The land was still open grazing at this time and it was not until 1668 that a house was built on the site by Sir Peyton Ventris.
•Since that time, the Mansion has been enlarged (18th and 19th centuries), and, together with the parkland, developed extensively as a private estate through the 19th century under a succession of owners that included the Ventris, Barker, Collison, Lillingston and Kelly families.
•The Chantry passed into public trusteeship in 1927, after it was saved from development by Sir Arthur Churchman, Lord Woodbridge of the ‘Churchman's’ tobacco dynasty. The park was officially opened to the public on the 17th May 1928 by Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles, later Countess of Harewood. #history #historian #park #chantrypark #knowyourhistory #eventsofinterest #eventsofinteresthistory #victorian #edwardian #mansion #heritage #funday #hotday