Here are 6 reasons your curls have become looser and ways you can get them to bounce up like before.
1. Build up – The ingredients in your products can build up on your hair causing it to be weighed down. A good clarifying can help get ride of build up.
2. Heavy products – If your hair is fine or wavy, it can easily get weighed down if your conditioners and styling products have a lot of silicones, oils, butters . It is the reason I stopped using silicones. Use light water based products from brands such as
3. Over moisturised hair lacking Protein – I keep saying this often : We curlies can get so obsessed with hydration & moisture that we forget that protein is an equally important part of a healthy hair regime.
4. Styling Technique – I find that “Pressing” (think 🙏🏽 hands )products in gives me bigger “clumped” curls while scrunching them in gives me more ringlets-y curls. That may not be the case with everyone.
I fell in love with the denmen brush, it helps define curls without the frizz!!!
Experiment with many techniques to see which you like the best.
5. Hair length – In most cases, the longer the hair, the looser it gets because of the weight. It’s best to get your hair cut in layers to make them bounce back up. But in some cases, if you go too short, it can cause your hair to almost look straight. The reason is that the curl clump may have been cut at a length just before it start to loop into a curl.
6. Damage – Heat damage and damage from hair colouring can drastically loosen your curls. Though some deep conditioning and protein treatments can help it a bit, nothing is going to give you back your old curls like growing out the damage and cutting it off little by little.
7. There’s actually 1 more reason – Hormones/ long term medication – Hormonal changes like puberty, pregnancy can change the pattern of your hair. It is not known why this happens. Unfortunately this change is permanent and nothin can be done about it. Long terms medicines can cause it too, especially things like Birth Control Pill that mess with your hormones.
We recommend a Crystal gel demineralizer @malibucpro