... after the show...
The building and the auditorium are part of the prestigious gallery of the Palais Royal. The history of this theatre is intertwined with that of Paris and its revolutions, with the most famous actors and authors performing here, starting with Molière himself (appearing there between 1662 and 1673), and the theatre directors who developed the place.
In 1637, Richelieu, prime minister to French king Louis XIII, had the first theatre built here.
In 1753 a puppet theatre was erected in the northwest corner of the gardens of the Palais-Royal to entertain the children of its owner, the Duke of Orléans.
In 1780, he transferred ownership of the palace to his son, who wishing to add to his income, decided to enclose the gardens north of the Palais Royal on three sides with 6-storey apartment buildings having colonnades on the interior garden side for shops, restaurants, and places of entertainment.
Realizing that the theatre would likely enhance the value of his property and the rents he could charge by increasing the number of visitors, he decided to enlarge it and make it more permanent.
The first owner of the theatre was Madame Montansier, a major figure in French theatre who lived to the age of 90. She outlived Louis XV and Louis XVI, lived through the Revolution, the Empire, the Restoration, the Hundred Days, Louis XVIII, built 4 theatres and ran 20.
She purchased the Théâtre du Palais Royal in 1789.
The theatre was renowned, but it had to close and transformed into a Café in 1812 for political reasons.
Thanks to another man of the theatre, Dormeuil, the theatre reopened in 1831 with a malicious prologue: Ils n’ouvriront pas (They won’t open)...