October 18, 1778: Martinsburg was incorporated by the General Assembly of Virginia
Martinsburg, the county seat of Berkeley County, was laid out in 1773 by Gen. Adam Stephen. The tract of land along Tuscarora Creek had been settled in the 1740s by Joseph Morgan and his brother, John Morgan. Adam Stephen established both #gristmills
and flaxseed-oil #mills
along the banks of Tuscarora Creek. Stephen built his house of native limestone on lot 104.
Berkeley County was established in 1772, and Stephen succeeded in getting Martinsburg declared the county seat. Stephen named the town for Colonel Thomas Bryan Martin, a nephew of Lord Fairfax.
Read more at e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia.
Link in bio. #WestVirginia