*click the location above to see where this location is on the map*
The National Park of American Samoa is a National Park in the United States Territory of American Samoa, distributed across three separate islands: Tutuila, Ofu, and Ta‘ū.
American Samoa as a whole is made up of 10 highly eroded volcanic mountains and 2 coral atolls, only 5 of the 10 are inhabited. Overall, this land contains rugged cliffs, tropical rain forest, coral, and volcanic activity. There are five known rainforest communities: lowland, montane, coast, ridge, and cloud. About 70% of the land is ferns or trees leaving the other 30% made up of beaches or grassland. The highest point in American Samoa is 964 meters tall, known as Lata Mountain. As a whole, American Samoa is a living volcano that is moving 3 inches towards China every year. It is located on the Pacific Plate, which is home to many other hotspots, like Hawaii. These islands were formed by remains of extinct volcanoes, making the land very rocky. The water is warm and very clean, making it possible for species not found in U.S. waters to live. There are many different rocks/minerals but the most common are: Diamond, Gold, Silver, Quartz, Opal, and many different Igneous rocks. #geology #geologyadventures #nationalparkofamericansamoa