I get asked what I eat on my grainfree diet. Because the assumption, and the truth, is you can’t just munch down vegetables.
I try and come up with recipes or alter recipes or simply follow recipes. Pictured: shredded cabbage with coconut
Some lax rules on a vegetarian, grainfree/paleo/primal/keto/lowcarb diet:
1. Unless you’re going for a soup, try and keep the water content to a minimum. This ensures that your experiment yields a starter that can be eaten on its own.
2. Add coconut for body - Not only does ground/shredded/desiccated coconut add “meat” to your dish, but also enhances flavour and adds some very good fats.
3. Add coconut milk - Honestly, most packaged coconut meat lacks the flavour of fresh coconut. And opening a fresh coconut, extracting the meat and processing it can be a pain. If that’s the case, substitute with coconut milk. Some caveats- I get a pounding headache every time I consume coconut milk by the cupful. But I am fine when it’s a small quantity added to a curry. Also it can’t add the texture that coconut meat provides.
4. Don’t be afraid of vegetables - Like really, I could cook only with the popular 4-5 vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, pumpkin and a squash or two. If you’re unsure of what to do with a vegetable, chop it up and stir fry in oil and and eat. Once you know the flavour, you can decide what to add the next time. Also, the good ol’ internet has recipes for everything.
5. Use yogurt - Serve it on the side or add it off the flame directly to a vegetable dish or use in salad.
6. Use spices, oils and herbs- Say no to bland vegetables. Use coconut or olive oil generously. Or ghee or butter. Use spices and salt, but maybe err on the side of too little because you are gonna be eating the dish on its on, with no accompaniments.
7. Use acid - Vinegars and lemons, there are no substitutes.
8. Go crazy with the holy trifecta of onion-garlic-ginger - I don’t think I have many recipes that don’t call for at least one of these. Love them for the depth of flavour they add.
#keto #beautydawg #ketodiet #lowcarb #primal #paleodiet #paleo #weightloss #nocarbs #pegan #vegetarian #grainfree #grainfreeliving #sugarfree