Our fourth stop on our Little Arabia Tour - Victory Pastry, also known as Victory Sweets
Chef-owner Mohammad Awad not only makes all his filo dough, but also his own kadaif dough,
which looks somewhat like angel-hair pasta.
Chef Awad invited our group into his kitchen, discussed the preparation of his pastries with us,
and showed us the special machine he uses to make the kadaif dough.
We got samples of pastries to take home, including:
__ -- Karabisch - a cake with pistachio filling, meringue-type frosting and a garnish of chopped
pistachios, with a syrup that seemed to have a hint of orange blossom water
__ -- Chocolate baklava - layers of chocolate filo and pistachio filling
__ -- Basbousa, which, said Chef Awad, is also called namora and herisse - A semolina cake lightly
moistened with syrup, that was topped with pistachios at Victory Sweets. It somewhat resembles
Turkish and Greek revani.
__ -- Burma, a rolled pastry made of kadaif dough filled with coarsely chopped pistachios and baked
__ -- Baklava, some rolled and some square, with pistachio and walnut fillings
Chef Awad's pastries are rich and delicious, with a lovely buttery taste thanks to butter ghee from
The other stops on the tour for our friends from Melissa's Produce were at Fresh Choice
Marketplace, Forn Alhara, and Olive Tree Restaurant.
Photo by Yakir Levy
@olivetreerestaurantoc @fornalhara @melissasproduce @littlearabiadistrict
#baklava #filo #phyllo #phyllodough #kadaif #basbousa #namoura #revani #pistachios #boorma
#pistachio #walnut #karabij #pastry #pastries #pastrylove #pastrylover #pastrylovers #sweetslover
#LittleArabiaDistrict #MiddleEasternFood #Mediterraneanfood #middleeasternsweets
#hautecuisines #eattheworld #gastronomy #gastronomie #gastronomia
This chicken and quinoa strudels are a wonderful food option to cook for yourself or any quests coming over, especially for iftars for all my followers fasting 🙌🏻. I also love that it has the flaky phyllo dough sheet layers with melted cheese 🧀 and fresh hot chicken... mmm 🤤! It also tasted just as good eating the second day. If you do not like quinoa, wild rice would be a great substitution, along with substituting or including any cheeses that you guys like. Let me know if you try out this recipe and what you guys think! Happy cooking 😋
INGREDIENTS: • 2 cups of cooked quinoa, or even wild rice
* 4 cups of water for quinoa and 2 cups of water for peas
* 2 cups of cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
* 1 cup of shredded swiss cheese
* 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
* 2 cups of cooked green peas, or you can use petit pois
* 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
* 1 package of phyllo sheets (2 rolls in a pack), dethawed
* 1 1/2 (more or less) cup of butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cook quinoa & peas – Boil 4 cups of water with quinoa until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Cook peas in a pan of water until boiling point and then drain.
3. Toss chicken, peas, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning in a bowl and mix until combined.
4. Take phyllo sheets from packaging and lay out on a smooth surface. Prep all other items so that they are nearby and easy to access.
5. Take one sheet of phyllo dough and drizzle some melted butter on top. This is a key step for the strudels. You do not want it to be too much oil so its super oily or too little so its too dry. I recommend using a rubber brush and lightly wipe the butter for each layer. If you do not have that, then use a spoon and drizzle as evenly that you can.
6. Layer more sheets with butter on top of the initial one, approximately 1 dough roll. You do not have to use all of sheets.
7. Spoon half of the cooked quinoa in the middle of the layered phyllo dough long wise, leaving one-inch space at the top and the bottom for folding.
8. Then spoon in half of the chicken mixture and half of the shredded cheese.
We needed something regal enough for The Seven Kingdoms (😉) and @honeyandco
’s rib-sticking chicken pastilla was exactly the thing. The dish, which has haunted me ever since our London trip where I not so subtly snuck bites from M’s plate, is that bewitching combo of sweet, savory, and heavily spiced, perfect for keeping us fueled during all the madness.