Southern annexe of the former secure Erindale Ward for Difficult Men, part of the old Glenside Hospital historic precinct. Built to house the more acute/disturbed male psychiatric patients, need for this ward was identified when it was realised the disruptive behaviour of these men on the general male wards negatively impacted the recovery time of those suffering milder mental health conditions.
Erindale's been left derelict since 1978 and is one of the handful of buildings remaining from the Parkside Lunatic Asylum as the site was named on opening in 1870. The imposing 3-storey edifice belongs to Arts SA, and the Adelaide Central School of Art has a long-term lease option. There are no current development plans.