Dinner - Confit de canard, cherry red wine sauce, potato rösti, puntarelle salad
Finally got round to making duck confit, just didn’t use a traditional method but sous vide instead. @chefsteps
have a great recipe on their website, but it does take 16hrs @ 80C... unfortunately the ikea ziplock bag split during cooking, so I don’t know whether the end result was actually what it should have been.
Overall I’m really chuffed with this, Confit came out pretty well considering the mishap. Didn’t get a crispy enough skin from the broiler but I think that was due to the duck leg being cooked in water. The meat was fall off the bone tender though.
Sauce went great with the salty duck, tart and sweet with the added bite of cooked cherries
Acidity and crunch of the salad also went great with everything. Wasn’t really puntarelle just looked like it, wanted more of a radish texture.
Röstis were ok, grated too finely so were more like potato pancakes.
Wife’s not convinced 16+2 hrs (prep+cooking) is worth the final product, but I don’t think you can do duck confit quickly so either way it’s an overnight thing. Sous vide just makes life easier when you can’t find duck fat.
Recipes as follows:
Duck: see https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/easy-crispy-duck-leg-confit
Cherry sauce: - Sautéed finely diced shallots in butter until soft
- 250ml red wine in, reduced by half
- any stock, pitted and quartered fresh cherries, in and reduced till thickened - season
- grate potatoes, drain water
- mix in one yolk and mayo or crème fraîche, season - melt butter in frying pan, spoon mixture and fry both sides till golden
- bake in oven for 10mins @ 200C
- remove most leaves, halve and cut/tear thin strips
- finely mince garlic, anchovies, salt and olive oil
- whisk with more olive oil and white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- toss in salad and serve
#duckconfit #confitdecanard #confit #duck #sousvide #cherrysauce #cherries #redwinereduction #potatorosti #puntarelle #anchovydressing #homemade #homecooking #a8207kitchen #food #foodie #foodies #foodporn #foodstagram #instafood #foodpics #eattheworld #recipes #düsseldorf #germany #joule #chefstep