Today is Poinsettia Day! This beautiful red flower is to Christmas like a pumpkin is to Halloween 😉but DID YOU KNOW that they are MILDLY POISONOUS to both pets, children & even adults sometimes?😮 Although the toxicity levels of this crimson beauty have been exaggerated over the years, please take not of the below symptoms and treatments to be aware of:
A mild, itchy rash.
Skin contact with the sap of a poinsettia plant can cause a rash. If this happens, wash the affected area with soap and water. Apply a cool compress to ease itching.
A mild stomachache, vomiting or diarrhea.
This can happen after eating part of a poinsettia plant. Severe signs and symptoms are unlikely. If you find a child eating a poinsettia plant, clear and rinse his or her mouth.
If the sap of a poinsettia plant comes in contact with the eyes, they can become red and irritated. If this happens, flush the eyes with water.
General Allergic reaction.
Some people are more sensitive to poinsettia plants than are others. Reactions to poinsettia plants are more common among people who have latex allergies, since latex and poinsettia plants share several proteins. Also, if you're allergic to avocados, bananas, chestnuts, kiwis and passion fruits you might have a greater chance of being allergic to poinsettia plants. In case of a severe reaction, seek prompt medical attention.
I hope that this little festive season tip has helped you in preparing for the Christmas season that is fast approaching!
For more useful information to get you through the festive season you can sign up for our Bi-monthly newsletter at www.ohanafamily.co.za
#ohana #jointoday #housesittingagency #petsittingservice #dogwalking #babysitting #somuchmore #proudlysouthafrican #localislekker #bonus #makesomemoney #insentives #goals #animallove