What is exclusive breastfeeding and why is it #best
for your #baby
العربي في البوست السابق
means giving your baby nothing but breast milk. No water, no formula, no herbs, nothing else at all. Not all breastfeeding is equal and the differences are #important
. Constipation and diarrhoea are rare in exclusively breastfed babies. In the first few weeks babies commonly pass stools with every feed. Older babies, however sometimes only pass one soft stool a week, and this is fine.
Since the baby's body is able to absorb the nutrients in breast milk completely, very little waste is produced. (This is why we always state that wet diapers are the way to know of your baby is getting enough milk)
Even if your baby does not pass stool for several days, no intervention is needed. Do not offer your baby herbs or any other natural remedy. Why should you not offer herbs to your baby?
1) Babies are not simply small adults. Their metabolisms are different, and they have organs that are growing quickly, this requires that you take special care when giving your baby anything other than milk.
2) Babies need a great amount of vitamins, minerals and nutrients for heathy growth and development, which are all absent in herbal teas. Offering anything other than milk can take up the small space in their stomach preventing them from getting the necessary nutrients.
3) Giving your baby herbal teas before they are six months of age could result in an over-consumption of water, or water poisoning.
4) The effects of herbs in children have not been studied scientifically and many severe reactions have been reported.
5) Some teas are known to limit your baby’s intake of iron.
For more #reasons
why exclusive breastfeeding is so important and why the #World_Health_Organization
and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that you exclusively breastfeed your baby for 6 months, follow #bfskw_ebf
& stay tuned.
By: Dr. Fatima Boujarwah
Breastfeeding Counselor and Lactation Educator. Director of @birthkuwait_bfs
#bk_bfskw #breastfeeding #breastfeed #birthkuwait #kuwait #love #mom #family