: Men and women incarcerated in prisons across the nation declare a nationwide strike in response to the riot in Lee Correctional Institution, a maximum security prison in South Carolina. Seven comrades lost their lives during a senseless uprising that could have been avoided had the prison not been so overcrowded from the greed wrought by mass incarceration, and the lack of respect for human life that is embedded in our nation’s penal ideology. These men and women are demanding humane living conditions, access to rehabilitation, sentencing reform and the end of modern slavery.
Swipe right for their list of demands, events in #NYC
. For events in your area, follow #prisonstrike
The next images are ways to continue to fight #massincarceration
on a daily basis:
1. Appolition - download this app, link your debit card, purchase something and donate the spare change of that purchase to contribute to get someone out of bail.
2. Bail Bloc - download Bail Bloc encryption on your Windows/Mac computer and use bitcoins to convert into small cash to donate to bail funds. (It’s complicated but an easy download.)
3. The Dollar Bail Brigade w/ @thebronxfreedomfund
- many people are sitting in jail because they are poor and can’t afford the $1 bail and/or because by law they can’t bail themselves out. This brigade tackles that issue. Swipe right for more details.
The last two images are two important informational documentaries available on @netflix
2. The story of #KaliefBrowder