Last night was the Great Roast, a gala and culmination of #oadweek2018
in which 2018's Opinionated About Dining European guide and winners were announced. Congrats to #schlossschauenstein
for the best overall and @ernst.berlin
for best new restaurant. Swipe through for a few highlights from the 14-course extravaganza.
1. Wonderful crisp and tender asparagus with red sumac, yuzu and miso hollandaise (not pictured), by @christianbau
of Victor's Fine Dining in Perl, Germany.
2. A comforting bowl of crushed potatoes, herbs, sorrel and grey shrimp, prepared by @kobewulf
of Chambre Separee in Ghent.
3. An intense Partan Bree (Scottish crab soup) with spider crab and organic brown rice, by London's @its_isaac
4. My personal favourite of the night - smoked Lincolnshire eel with cultured cream, sprouted eye and candy beetroot. @merlin_johnson
does wonderful things with beets at @portlandrestaurant
and this was no exception.
5. Tender spring chicken with a sticky garlic glaze and ramsons, served by @bjornfrantzen
of Stockholm's @restaurantfrantzen.
Stephen Harris of @sportsmankent
also did a blinding roast pork with apple, while Simon Rogan's dry aged roast duck with duck hearts went down a storm. Finally, the centrepiece belonged to @jknappett
, who busted out carving trolleys to serve a full roast beef dinner - 10 courses in. Hats off to @steveplotnicki
for the hospitality and @noblerotbar
for a series of superb pairings.