Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara was one of the several wedding gifts that Mary of Teck received when she married George, Duke of York (future George V), in 1893. The jewel was made by Garrard and bought by the committee of women Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, that gave its name to the tiara, to give to Mary. Quite versatile, the piece could be used as a necklace or a diadem in addition to the original version. The tiara originally contained 14 pearls, which were removed by orders of Mary (to build the Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara) and replaced with 13 diamonds. Queen Mary also asked that the base of the tiara be removed so it could be used as a bandeau. The tiara and the bandeau were given as wedding gifts by Mary to her granddaughter, the then Princess Elizabeth, in 1947. In the late 1960s, Queen Elizabeth II, who was never photographed using the bandeau, asked to be put it back in the tiara, forming a bigger piece. The jewel, called by Elizabeth as “Granny’s Tiara," is considered one of her favorites, being widely used by the Queen since being bestowed until today.
1: Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara;
2, 3 and 4: Princess Mary of Teck, Queen consort of the United Kingdom;
5-10: Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom.