According to legends, St. Peter's Church, is one of the oldest in Vienna. The church was founded in 792 by Charlemagne as a bas-relief in marble on the facade suggests: Carol the Great, laying down the cross by Rudolf Weyr (1906)
The final form of the church is due to Lukas von Hildebrandt. The frescoes inside the dome, which depict the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, were made by J. M. Rottmayr. In the chapel there is a glass box with relics of SF. Benedict.
The construction of the new Baroque church has begun around 1701 under Gabriele Montani. The design was inspired by the St. Peter's Basilica of the Vatican in Rome. By 1722, most of the building was finished, and in 1733, the Peterskirche was finally consecrated to the Holy Trinity.