I’ve eaten a ton of pan fried dumplings (sheng jian bao) this past week.... mostly from local shops in the Jing’an and Huangpu districts. But the two places that stood out for me were Tai Kan Tang Bao and Yang’s Dumplings (multiple locations).
Thanks for the rec, @fishingthesea
, and @mike.0203
for eating all day with me! 😅🙏🏻
The more I travel, the more I realize what makes a place memorable isn’t just the food and scenery, it’s the people I encounter along the way. Friends, old and new, are what make each trip special.
Huge thanks to @katiexlin
for taking me around to your favorite spots and sharing your amazing recs! 🙏🏻😊
These soup dumplings are in my top 3 for this trip. Everything is deliciously handmade from scratch and comes out right after they make them. I can’t write the name, so just scroll through to the end of the slideshow to see for yourself. 😉
Newly opened Sui Tang Li inside the beautiful @themiddlehouse
Shanghai offers some of the tastiest food I’ve had on my trip so far!
The dishes are inspired by Shanghainese, Cantonese and Sichuan cuisines infused with local and international ingredients.
Sui Tang Li means “ happy, free, and relaxed” which is exactly how I try to live my life these days. 🤗
If you’re in the Shanghai area, this place is definitely worth a visit!
Check out the slideshow and my IG stories for some of the prettiest and tastiest food I’ve shot in recent times. ☺️
1. Overhead shot of my apps
2. Hair crab xiaolongbao (soup dumpling)
3. Quail egg siu mai, black vinegar
4. Pan fried foie gras chicken dumpling
5. Jasmine tea smoked Pomfret
6. Steamed yam, pumpkin and preserved vegetable
7. Stewed milk, caramel, jasmine tea, Passionfruit sorbet
8. Sui Tang Li dining room
9. The Middle House staircase
10. Kitchen Pass
Staying in the Jing’an District of Shanghai, there are food options aplenty.
I went with a local’s suggestion of trying this place, but it turned out to be just average. Not bad, but not destination-worthy. Still lots of places to try!
I’m looking forward to eating my way around this city. Follow my IG Stories to see where I’ll be eating next! 😋🙌🏻
1. Giant pork soup dumpling w/ crab roe (broth only)
2. Spicy pork noodles
3. Soup dumplings with crab
Our last group dinner in SF at one Michelin starred @insitu_sfmoma.
Located inside of the Mona in SF, In Situ recreates some of the most iconic dishes from famous chefs around the world. It’s not an easy task, but they do it well by maintaining the integrity and deliciousness in each dish.
👈🏻 Swipe through to see everything we ate...going backwards this time. Starting with dessert! 😋🙏🏻
1. “Ame” - sound of rain: grapes, sake, citrus, pop rocks
2. Jasper Hill Farm cheesecake: hazelnut, white chocolate, cookies
3. Halibut stuffed with egg yolk
4. “Lamb Carrot”
5. Wasabi lobster
6. Summery warm tomato and basil tart
7. Country bread, brown butter
8. Caramelized carrot soup
9-10. In Situ interior
I love how food brings people together....especially friends, old and new. 😊
Here’s the pics to everything we ate that night at @misterjius.
My favorite shot is the first in the slideshow because it looks like the quail just finished a breakdancing routine. 🤣
1. Roasted Wolf Ranch Quail w/ sticky rice, MJ’s lap cheong, cashew, figs
2. Sea urchin cheong fun
3. Dutch crunch BBQ pork buns
4. Wagyu skirt steak fried rice
5. Tendrils, greens, and stems
6. Liberty Farm roast duck
7. Alaskan halibut
9. Prawn toast
10. Black sesame cake
Did some pre-gaming for my upcoming trip to Hawaii at @ainarestaurant
in SF, and it only confirms that Hawaiian food and Hawaiian people are just awesome!
for your tasty food and amazing hospitality! 🙏🏻
Swipe through to see everything we ate!
1. Punalu’u Bakery Taro French Toast (they get their bread shipped from Hawaii! 🙌🏻)
2. Chicken Katsu w/ rolled omelette
3. Kalua Pork Belly
4. Kalbi Loco Moco
5. Smoked mushrooms with lap cheong sausage, soft eggs
6. Malasadas - Portuguese style donuts, passion-orange-guava custard, coconut sugar
7. Breakfast potatoes, gochujang and Japanese aïoli, local seaweed sunomono, poached egg
8. Spam musubi “Ssam style”
Another awesome spot in SF was @neighborbakehouse
, where the pastries were some of the best I’ve had out West.
I love how they don’t have a fancy display case. Most of the items are placed freshly on the baking rack before it gets sold out. Don’t miss out on the kimchi toast and everything croissant if you go! 😋👌🏻
👈🏻 Swipe that way to see some goodies.
was easily one of my favorite places I visited on this quick trip to SF. The flavors felt familiar and homey and brought back so many nice memories of things I’ve eaten throughout my life.
I highly recommend the Chicken Okayu (porridge) and Hojicha latte if you go. 👌🏻
Check out the slideshow for some highlights.
1. Katsu Sando - pork cutlet, tonkatsu sauce, cabbage
2. Chicken Okayu - rice porridge, wakame, egg, mushroom, green onions
3. Matcha cream puff
4. Charsiu danish
5. Matcha white chocolate cookie
6. Ichigo Daifuku - strawberry mochi
7. Black Sesame Cream Puff
8. Hojicha latte
9. Brewing loose leaf tea
10. Stonemill Matcha exterior
Doing some “research” while in San Fran. 😉
Top: The AKA - Alfajores Kouign Amann, dulce de leche, coconut macaron
Bottom: Kouign Amann, demerara sugar
I can’t believe it’s taken this long for me to visit @gramercytavern
, but it definitely lives up to its legendary status!
Check out their main dining room for the a la carte or tasting menu. You can’t go wrong with either choice! 😋🙌🏻
👈🏻 Swipe Left to see some delicious highlights!
1-2. Roasted oysters w/ corn and shishito peppers
3. Marinated Scallops: sungold tomatoes, husk cherries, golden beets
4. Bread w/ goat cheese butter
5. Heirloom tomato salad
6. Chicken Cobb Salad
7. Pork Schnitzel
8. Ginger Swizzle
9. Sweet Corn Cake: goat cheese, blackberries, toffee popped sorghum
10. Vanilla rice pudding: strawberry compote, peach mint sorbet
Take your favorite sandwich, then do your own thin(!) with @arnoldbread
’s Sandwich Thins rolls. A round of delicious bread, made with olive oil and sea salt, can hold all of your favorite fillings. Load it up! I’ll take two please...
#ad #doyourownthin #arnoldbread
Here’s some of my favorite shots from my last meal at @enjb.
Such a beautiful space with amazing decor and downright delicious Japanese cooking! Can’t wait to go back to try the rest of the menu! 😋🙌🏻
👈🏻 SWIPE Left to see all the good things! 🔥
Perched 60 stories above Lower Manhattan, @manhatta_nyc
offers some of the best views of the city, it’s bridges, and waterways.
The space is absolutely gorgeous and more importantly, the food and service is just as spectacular as the views! But then again, I wouldn’t expect anything less from @dhmeyer
Definitely add this place to your list of must-visits! 🙌🏻
Check the slideshow and my IG stories (in a bit) for some mouth-watering highlights!
1. Wagyu Bavette - squash, pommes anna, creamed spinach
2. Four Story Hill Farm Chicken - stone fruits, corn, market lettuce
3. Tempura Scallops w/ caviar
4. Croque Madame - bechamel, ham, quail egg, black truffle (add-on)
5. Foie Gras Mousse - strawberries, brioche
6. Summer Melon Salad - feta, cucumber, white balsamic
7. Fresh baguettes (so good!)
8. Vanilla Souffle - butterscotch sauce
9. Chef @jason.pfeifer
10. View from the @manhatta_nyc
main dining room
**BIG GIVEAWAY** My favorite @urbanspacenyc
pop-up markets are back! I’m giving away an exclusive Urbanspace Passport to 1 lucky follower for an all access pass to 10 FREE meals at EACH pop-up market. That's a total of 30 meals!
Complete with 50+ vendors, the passport gives you the chance to visit all my favorite NYC hot spots (including this 🔥 @robertaspizza
bun 😍, as well as the @citi
Urbanspace Challenge finalists at no cost!
Want a chance to check out the Citi Urbanspace Challenge finalists, see which is your favorite, and also experience some of my favorite NYC places to eat at @urbanspacenyc
? Enter below!
- Follow @stuffbeneats
- Comment #EatUrban
- Tag two friends on @urbanspacenyc
's latest post
- One winner will be randomly drawn at 12pm on Saturday, 9/8 and will be contacted via DM