There’s something extra special about this delicious chocolate cake. Made with almond milk and coconut oil, it’s also #Vegan
. Perfect for those with a sweet tooth or a special diet.
Search ‘vegan cake’ for this recipe and more on Tesco Real Food, link in bio.
240ml (8fl oz) almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
125g (4oz) melted coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
1 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp vanilla paste
1 x 410g tin quartered pears, drained and puréed
240g (8oz) gluten-free flour
240g (8oz) light brown sugar
240g (8oz) cocoa powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
For the frosting
280g (9oz) almond butter
50g cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla paste
100g (3 1/2oz) light brown sugar
150ml (5fl oz) almond milk
150g (5oz) fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. Lightly grease an 18cm (7in) round cake tin with coconut oil.
2. Mix the almond milk and cider vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and allow to set for a few minutes to activate. Add the coconut oil, coffee, vanilla extract, and pear purée and beat until foamy.
3. Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder to the wet ingredients and mix well. Taste, and adjust sweetness by adding more sugar, if desired.
4. Pour mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before frosting.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream frosting by beating together all the ingredients until light and fluffy. If the consistency is too thick, add more almond milk. If it's too thin, add more cocoa powder or light brown sugar.
6. Once the cake is cooled, spread the frosting generously over the top and decorate with the raspberries, if using. Alternatively, omit the frosting and dust with cocoa powder.